The Hurricane canal provided water for 2000 acres of land for 80 years. Without it, the town of Hurricane would not exist. Canal Video
Initially the construction of the canal seemed an impossible dream. The path of the canal would run along steep, unstable hillsides, across ravines and through soluble soil that would cause water absorption. Money was almost nonexistent and reasonable men of the time, would have waited for government financing.
As floods continued to devour the land up river, the farmers became desperate. In the fall of 1893, James Jepson and John Steele mapped a feasible route and men from neighboring villages began digging. The flumes that transported water across the ravines were built out of wood. Juniper bark was used to chink up the leaks.
By 1902, long after the planned completion date, expensive portions remained unfinished. The men were broke and discouraged. A $5000 stock purchase by the LDS church restored morale and purchasing power to the weary few that remained with the project. Two years later water reached the valley.
In 1904,a new community was launched, complete with the authentic heroes that made it possible. Canal Video